Saturday 5 April 2014

60 year-old man arrested for trafficking cocaine

Lagos - The National Drug Law Enforcement
Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a 61-year-old
man, Prince Ifeanyichukwu, at the Murtala
Mohammed International Airport for attempting
to smuggle cocaine to Istanbul, Turkey.
A statement issued by the agency on Thursday
in Lagos, said that a powdery substance that
tested positive for cocaine was found inside the
suspect’s luggage.
It said the arrest took place during the screening
of passengers on a Turkish Airlines flight to
Istanbul.

The statement also quoted the NDLEA
Commander at the airport, Hamza Umar, as
saying that the suspect was the oldest drug
trafficker arrested this year.
“This is the oldest suspect we have
apprehended since January. During search,
officers discovered 1.250kg of cocaine hidden
inside his luggage.

“It was cleverly concealed such that we have to
cut the bag open to detect the drugs. The case is
under investigation.”
The statement said that the suspect blamed his
involvement in drug trafficking on financial
hardships.

“I used to sell cooking gas at Sabo, Alaba
International Market, Lagos. Problem started
when I lost everything to a fire incident in
November, 2013.
“I was married to two wives and blessed with
three children but one of my wives had left me.

“In my search for a source of livelihood, I was
told to take a luggage containing cocaine to
Turkey for a fee of 4 500 dollars.
“They prepared my travel documents and gave
me 2 500 dollars. I would have collected the
balance of 2 000 dollars if I had taken the drug
to Turkey.

“The plan was so real to me, especially when
they gave me my travel documents with the part
payment. Now I know that I made a big mistake,”
it quoted the suspect as saying.
It recalled that the NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu
Giade, had called for the support of Nigerians in
the anti-narcotics war.

“We need the support of all stakeholders in this
all-important battle against illicit drugs. It is very
shameful for a 61-year-old father to indulge in
drug trafficking.

“We shall continue to prevent the exit points
from being used for drug trafficking.
"The suspect will soon be charged to court,”
Giade said.

- NAN

No comments:

Post a Comment